Have I tried Gentoo for the last time?

I've followed the instructions to the letter
I've used the "printed" instructions as a check list to install
I've used both Grub and Lilo as the boot loader
    Lilo is the present boot loader

I get the same results with either boot loader
Reboot, Reboot, Reboot

I've booted with the CD to look at the files to see if I fat fingered
    nope...
I've looked at lilo.conf and fstab
I've changed settings of the both and put them back
    nothing wrong... according to the instructions

I just can't figure out what I've done that prevents this from working.
I want this to work but it's now become a joke that it doesn't work
I've installed from scratch 5 times and I get the same results every time.

I know your all thinking "what's he doing wrong, the dope!"  I've followed
the instructions from the Gentoo website to the letter.

The only thing I can think of that may be causing this, is that I used
dban to
wipe this disk before I started.

Sam.

IMHO
I believe that any average user would have put M$ on this machine
by this time.