I have my cable split about 6 ways and get frequent drop-outs.

Will one of those bi directional broadband amplifiers work?

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org [mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Rysztak
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 4:19 PM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: RE: [TCLUG] New Comcast speeds

As I work for a cable company and am a Network Engineer, I can attest that
sub-optimal modem levels impact speed.  However, this is dependant on the
modem.  (Some seem to handle a less clean plant.)  Essentially you are
looking for approximately 40 to 50 dB on the Reverse and between 5 to -5 dB
on the Forward.  The further you are from those ranges, the more likely you
are to accumulate errors, dropped packets, retransmits and other networking
headaches which chew up your bandwidth.

Amazingly, that's why those little numbers on splitters and pads are
important.  They actually add up to something.

Except for a directional coupler, every split in a splitter accounts for
approximately 3.5 dB.

2 way = (2)3.5dB
3 way = (1)3.5dB, (2)7dB
4 way = (4)7dB

As you can see to make a 3 way, you need to split one that is already split.

These help pad and adjust the levels in addition to thelevels coming into
the house. (Incoming levels could vary depending on equipment at the
street.)

Now, if you have a dirty plant where signal to noise is down at 20dB, a 35dB
reverse could be impacted by the noise even though DOCSIS modems supposedly
can handle a reverse down at 8dB to 58dB.  That's the difference between a
test bench controlled environment and the real world with snow and cold
weather, cars hitting polls and peds, humidity, and a billion other
variables.

I think you'll now see, cable is NOT either ON or OFF.

Daniel Rysztak, CCNA