On a related note, Dell will sell you a 4-port IDE raid card with their
600SC servers.  The card is recognized under linux, but Dell doesn't have
management software (like 3ware's 3DM software) for the card that is
supported under linux.  I don't know who the original manufacturer of the
Dell card is.  The card can be configured during boot up (the card has
it's own bios, just like the 3ware cards and I'd image like the Adaptec
cards), but once the system is up you have no way of finding out if one of
the drives has failed or of managing the raid without a reboot to get back
to the bios on the card.

Anyway, the point is that you need to make sure the card works under linux
and that the management software also works under linux.  One doesn't
necessarily imply the other.

As was mentioned, 3ware's 3DM software is excellent and is supported under
linux.  I don't know about Adaptec's IDE raid cards or their management
software as I haven't used them.

Jeff