On Sunday 01 February 2004 12:06 pm, Samuel MacDonald wrote:
> (Crazy A$$ Idea)
>
> While watching Gentoo compile my brain was in an idle state watching GCC
> do it's thing.
>
> I was then thinking of a way to introduce Linux to office workers.
> Office workers need
> to use eMail, Calendar, WordProcessing, SpreadSheets, and access data
> from databases.
> Yes, I know some use applications that are "special" like Autocad among
> many.  I thought
> why not present Linux to them at lunch?
>
> It doesn't take long to "image" a M$ machine, why not create a "image"
> of several Linux
> distributions.  Get some laptops, desktops, and even a server or 2
> temporally donated from
> a vendor or 2, setup a traveling display at an area mall. "Lunch &
> Linux",  I have a very good
> connection at City Center, my Wife is the retail property manager.  We
> could do some
> weekend gigs at the other malls in the area.
>
> We would be able to show off Distro's, Open Office, Groopware, and other
> software that
> the average office worker would use on a daily basis.
>
> It might peak some interest.
>
> Sam.

Interesting idea. Personally I like the LiveCD idea since it allows us to give
away something.Between SuSE's LiveEval, Mandrake's LiveCD version, Knoppix
and all its derivatives we could show a variety of stuff. My feeling is that
if you showed SuSE, Mandrake and Knoppix(Debian) you'd cover a far bit of the
Linux universe.

Let me know if you set something up, I might be willing to pitch in some time
to talk to folks.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com