On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:11:50 -0600
Tom Penney <tpenney at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just finished installing MySQL 4.1.8 from the rpm on the mysql
> site. After battling the dependency nightmare involved I have it
> installed and working. I had to uninstall many packages which
> depended on mysql 3.23 (version included in core 2) and of course I
> cant reinstall them now that 3.23 is gone.

<snip snip snip>

Ugh, when you get into this do a complete source build, you'll be much
happier.  RPM's are a nightmare IMHO, especially for software you want
to update frequently like MySQL, PhP, Apache, etc.  RPM's are fine for
stuff like glibc, gcc, XOrg, etc.

Source build:

download source tarball from mysql.com (it's on the bottom of the
downloads page)
tar zxvf tarball.tar.gz
cd mysql-4.1.8
./configure --help to see options, MySQL builds their releases with
the following options:

CFLAGS="-O3 -mpentiumpro" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -mpentiumpro \
-felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" ./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local/mysql --enable-assembler \
--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static

(see http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/configure_options.html)

personlly I use this:

env CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=pentiumpro" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O3
-mcpu=pentiumpro -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" \
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql \
--with-unix-socket-path=/usr/local/mysql/mysql.sock \
--localstatedir=/usr/local/mysql/data \
--enable-assembler \
--enable-local-infile \
--disable-shared \
--with-extra-charsets=complex \
--without-isam \
--enable-thread-safe-client \
--with-vio \
--with-openssl \
--enable-shared=yes \
--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-shared

Then:

make
su
make install

If you want you can leave all the RPMs that Fedora has installed if
there are dependancies on them, assuming you don't install the source
build into a location that will cause conflicts or remove them
altogether (probably not an option unless you also build PhP and
Apache from source which is fine).

For example, I always build new versions of openssl the day that a
patch or vulnerability is announced.  If I'm using an RPM based system
(or a .deb, whatever) I leave the openssl RPM installed and use my
compiled version of SSL for my custom builds.

This isn't for everyone!  But it's an option you might want to
consider for software YOU want to control.  The upfront maintenance is
a little heavier, compiling is harder and more time consuming than rpm
-Uvh but in the long run I find it yields a more stable system.

YMMV,

Josh