On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:52:02 -0600
smac at visi.com wrote:

> It sounds like the power supply, but it may be over heating.
>
> Take the critter "outside" and blow it out (dust YUCK!) with a can
> of air. I think you could set it out side today and have it self
> clean :oD
>
> Reseat everything, processor, memory, nic, video, (*power
> connector*), etc...
>
> I had a flaky power supply do what you have going on, but usually
> they just go south after a shutdown.  Have any power spikes of late?

Pretty sure now it's the hard drive.  I did this (reseat EVERYTHING,
cleaned it out, etc.) and noticed that the power connection to the
hard drive is a little loose.  Not just the plug, but the plugin
connection to the drive itself wiggles a little.  If I wiggle it just
right it'll boot up, but for how long?  If it's not wiggled into the
right spot the BIOS doesn't even come up.  Hopefully I can keep this
thing up long enough to run a backup...  Time to dump SuSE in favor of
another Slackware install anyway!  It's been a fun ride....

Josh