On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 01:20:12PM -0600, Nate Carlson wrote:

> I'm fairly hard on my laptops; I actually *use* it all day every day, and
> take it with me wherever I go, and it doesn't seem that the mfr's
> anticipate this. If Toughbooks were a bit more powerful, that'd be a good
> fit for me.  :)
>
> (In other words, I've never had a laptop that lasted more than a year
> without a problem that needed a repair of some sort; Dell's actually
> probably been the most reliable that I've had.)

I'm in the same boat, and found the solution for both my Apple PowerBook,
and Toshiba:

Buy the 3 year warranty, make use of it when necessary, sell it when you
have 1 year remaining on ebay (laptops with warranties go for much more)

So far the PowerBook has had the motherboard, psu, screen, hard drive, and
track pad replaced. Fortunately they (usually) have a fast turnaround time
and occasionally the same-day if it's a part your local Apple store has in
stock.

The Toshiba hasn't had any problems yet, but I'll still upgrade and sell
it in 2 years or so.