Quoting Chris Smith <christophermsmith at mac.com>:

> Hmm. Having had a lot of dells, I'd say they are average, with Lattitudes
> seemingly more solid than Inspirons. I also think that all manufacturing
> seems to go thru fazes when it comes to quality. There was a time when HPs
> Pavilions were great, and then I had a series of them that were truly a
> nightmare right around the PII-450 days, and then they got better again. For
> a while I'd get a series of them that would blue screen out of the box. I've
> had several  Inspiron 8500 drives go bad lately too (we went thru a short
> faze of buying Inspirons for some reason). Though I think a lot of users
> have been leaving their laptops out in the car with 9 degree weather
> overnight, and then turning them on first thing in the morning. :-(
>
> Chris

<snip>

I very much agree with the statement about manufacturers and their hardware
quality cycling, especially with laptops. Someone gets a bad batch of stuff and
all hell breaks loose witha a specific model. I bought 12 HP laptops about 3
years ago. Withing 6 months 7 of them had to have motherboards replaced when
they decided to stop booting. Once replaced with a decent board they were quite
good, I think I still have a couple of them issued to my less well behaved
users :)
Anyway, to try and keep on topic, try to find someone happy with a specific
model rather than a specific manufacturer.

Thanks,
Josh