Arkajyoti Misra wrote:

>Thanks Adam.  I have identified the problem with my USB device. I
>borrowed two different USB devices (a memory stick and an external
>hard drive) from my friend and they worked fine. Also I use a USB
>mouse which works fine too. So, do you think recompiling the kernel
>might help to recognize this particular device? I am running default
>kernel 2.4.22.
>
>Arko.

Right, you don't need to compile a whole new kernel, just need to alter
the usb-storage module a bit.

Do this and see if you can't identify the proper option that will
support your reader.  If all options are checked or after selecting them
all and recompiling the usb-storarge module it still doesn't work, I
would guess you might want to look into another card reader.

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

Then look for

USB Support --->     (scroll down to USB support and hit enter)
       <M>   USB Mass Storage support        (make sure this is selected
as a module)
                < > Card support 1    (hit space to select)
                < > Card support 2
                < > Card support 3
                < > ...

Hit ESC a few times (or exit) and say yes to save.

Then do 'make modules && make modules_install'.
Issue '/sbin/rmmod usb-storage' then '/sbin/modprobe usb-storage'.

Regards
Adam