Arkajyoti Misra wrote:

># /sbin/lsmod
>Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
>usb-storage            70432   0  (unused)
>trident                33364   0  (autoclean)
>ac97_codec             16744   0  (autoclean) [trident]
>pcigame                 2632   0  (autoclean) [trident]
>gameport                3380   0  (autoclean) [pcigame]
>soundcore               6468   3  (autoclean) [trident]
>lp                      8580   0  (autoclean)
>parport                37056   0  (autoclean) [lp]
>autofs                 12084   0  (autoclean) (unused)
>ds                      8680   1
>yenta_socket           13472   1
>pcmcia_core            56256   0  [ds yenta_socket]
>8139too                16616   1
>mii                     3992   0  [8139too]
>ipt_REJECT              4248   6  (autoclean)
>iptable_filter          2444   1  (autoclean)
>ip_tables              15136   2  [ipt_REJECT iptable_filter]
>sg                     35436   0  (autoclean)
>sr_mod                 17400   2  (autoclean)
>microcode               4188   0  (autoclean)
>ide-scsi               12016   1
>ide-cd                 34432   0
>cdrom                  34592   0  [sr_mod ide-cd]
>sd_mod                 13420   0  (autoclean) (unused)
>scsi_mod              110280   5  (autoclean) [usb-storage sg sr_mod
>ide-scsi sd_mod]
>vfat                   12524   0  (autoclean)
>fat                    38040   0  (autoclean) [vfat]
>keybdev                 2656   0  (unused)
>mousedev                5268   1
>hid                    23908   0  (unused)
>input                   5888   0  [keybdev mousedev hid]
>ehci-hcd               20008   0  (unused)
>usb-ohci               21544   0  (unused)
>usbcore                78752   1  [usb-storage hid ehci-hcd usb-ohci]
>ext3                   71620   2
>jbd                    51276   2  [ext3]
>

># /sbin/modprobe usb-storage
>gives nothing.
>

># /sbin/lsusb
>Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
>I need some help to interpret the results above.
>Thanks.
>
>Arko.

The output of /sbin/lsmod should list vfat, scsi_mod, sd_mod, usbcore, usb-uhci, and usb-storage for your card reader to operate correctly.  And you most certainly do have those modules loaded which you can see from above.  But those drivers being loaded don't necessarily mean the hardware is working.  I'll get to that in a sec.

modprobing usb-storage is meant to insert the module into the running linux kernel.  The fact it spits nothing back at you is a good thing.  But it was already loaded as can be attested to by the previous command.

/sbin/lsusb is at least identifying the USB buses which those three lines are
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

If you issued this command while a USB device was connected you would see something like:
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 04e6:000a SCM Microsystems, Inc.
(Which is a ZiO! CF reader)

I'm guessing any USB devices altogether aren't being identified.  Has your USB ever worked with linux?

It also could just be usb-storage isn't configured properly.  Have you rolled your own kernel?  I'm assuming you run 2.4.*

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

Then look for

USB Support --->
	<M>   USB Mass Storage support
		< > Card support 1
		< > Card support 2
		< > Card support 3
		< > ...

If you make a change under USB Mass Storage support, save the kernel config when it asks you, then do 'make modules && make modules_install'.  Issue '/sbin/rmmod usb-storage' then /sbin/modprobe usb-storage'.

I know default fedora to be pretty complete in its selection to provide everything to run without much change to the internals, but you might have some weird card that can't be identified.  This is only the case if other USB stuff does work though.

Try restarting your laptop and entering BIOS (DEL or F1 at boot) toggling off the Plug-n-Play USB or look for other options that might be interfering.

If nothing really moves you forward, you could spend a few minutes (heh hours) at http://tuxmobil.org/toshiba.html

Adam