On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 11:55:02AM -0600, Patrick McCabe wrote:
> I am going to be buying a laptop computer soon. I assume it will come
> with XP and I will want to convert it to dual-boot Linux. Will there be
> any problems doing this? I have built dual-boot sytems before but not
> with XP.

The usual advice concerning dual booting systems is pretty much
holds for XP.  The one wrinke with XP concerns filesystems.  Most
XP installs start out as vfat, but are converted to NT fs on the
first boot of XP.  It easier to re-partition vfat, so you may
want to avoid letting XP boot until you have repartitioned.
There are Linux tools for partitioning NT filesystems, but they
hadn't made their way into all distros the last time I dealt with
this problem.

> Also if anyone really loves (or hates) their laptop I am happy to hear
> recommendations.

I have been very happy with my Thinkpads, though the recent sale
of IBM PC unit makes me a little more hesitant to recomend that
direction.

You may want to look at a recent thread that we had on laptops,
http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2004-August/thread.html#67058