M$ has a nifty way of starting a computer with what they feel is important
network information and that everyone should do what they do.  NOT!

<snip>
> I have the correct type of network cable used to connect pier to
> pier without using hubs, etc. From what I can tell, Linux is talking
> DHCP and Windows is using TCP/IP or some Microsoft protocol. They
> won't connect.
</snip>

Setup both computers with static IP addresses.
computer #1
IP Address:  192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
computer #2
IP Address:  192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Don't worry about default gateway unless you want to route to the internet.

Sam.