I just have to chime in with a bump for the Ideal ($40 Home Depot)
crimper. After using first a cheap plastic pos and then a
slightly-less-pos generic brand metal crimper, I am convinced that I
have the best crimper tool money can buy.

It is not that the other tools did not work. It is that they did not
work well and would often fail to get all of the pins pushed all the
way down.

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:17:11 -0600, steve ulrich <sulrich at botwerks.org> wrote:
> when last we saw our hero (Wednesday, Dec 08, 2004),
>  John Meier was madly tapping out:
>

> > <snip>
> > >Home Depot has an Ideal brand
> > > crimper
> >
> > So if the original poster needs, I have the above mentioned crimper,
> > wire and the plug ends - and I'm in bloomington - home all day  You
> > could test it out before you buy and make a cross-over!!
> >
> > My crimper is from Home depot, but I upgraded it a bit....  It's far
> > better than ANYTHING out there... I should really put my Crimper mod
> > up on the Internet so others can benefit....
>
> color me more than a little curious as to your mod.  i've been using
> what i consider to be the best crimper ever [1] for going on 6 or so
> years now.  i've crimped probably thousands of cable ends, definitely
> several hundred, with mine and i've only broken one die.
>
> { snipped - misc .signatures }
>
> references
> http://www.milestek.com/shop/product.asp?id=40%2020031&cid=710&kwd=MTTTLCTMOD&l=516&p=Tools+%26+Testers
>
> --
> steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
> PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC

Loren H. Burlingame <loren at lhb.name>
GPG Key ID: 0x112DCF4F
"Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes."
   -William Shatner (a.k.a. Buck Murdock)