Have you messed with system-config-authenction or authconfig...
you can see what your system is referencing in /etc/nsswitch.conf

Sounds like you are going to want it to be referencing ¨files¨ first.

Sorry if this is redundant. I am sorta jumping in the middle, having
just signed up to the list.

Chris Smith
Sr. Systems Administrator
API Group Inc.