Josh Welch wrote:

> To clarify, it's not putty preventing you from accessing the box, it's
> something
> on your box itself most likely.

 - Yep - I think so, too - just don't know what - yet. :)

> When you are creating new users, how are you doing it? What is the
> distribution?

 - Fedora Core 2 - I tried both useradd, but I saw one post calling it
Slackware, so I tried adduser, too.  Neither worked, and both seemed to have
the same results (user added, group with same name added, /bin/bash for
shell).

> If I recall correctly useradd on some distro's will not assign a shell,
> thus
> when you try and connect there is no environment for you to go into. Make
> sure
> you have /bin/bash or something similar for your users shell.
> usermod -s /bin/bash $USER

 - I saw that in my research, too - and tried it, but it didn't help.  Mark
Kroska also suggested this, and suggested I try a finger on the user - the
shell is /bin/bash.

He also suggested I look at /etc/default/useradd - and it has:

GROUP=100
HOME=/home
INACTIVE=-1
EXPIRE=
SHELL=/bin/bash
SKEL=/etc/skel

So, the shell looks good, right?  After creating a user, I can do a su -
myuser - and use ls, cat, etc as that user.

Also, I looked in /etc/group and GROUP 100 is users.

Thanks for the help - any other thoughts?

Geoff