Quoting "Matthew S. Hallacy" <poptix at poptix.net>:

> Not replying to this particular post, just the thread:
>
> Perhaps it's time to move somewhere with less thieves? Where I was growing
> up (in Texas) we left the windows open when we went out, we left the doors
> unlocked when we were home, and nobody but the neighborhood dog ever stole
> anything from our property.

Likewise where I grew up.

Then the farm next door was bought by a fairly pleasant couple. They had
problems, she got the house, started hanging out with considerably less
pleasant people. She got ran over by a train while drunk (true story) and the
house is now populated by her two adult (sort of) daughters who never had a
decent role model and whatever trash they bring home. While there has not been
a problem as of yet, my folks no longer leave the keys in their vehicles and do
lock the house if they leave overnight.

> My 6th grade English teacher once told me something that has stuck with
> me though: "Locks are for honest people"
>
> No number of locks, security systems, or guard dogs are going to protect
> you from the guy with a pry bar looking to fund his drug habit.

True

> Stop suggesting stupid "solutions" like changing your locks because some
> delivery person stopped by.

Locks are not solutions, nor are firewalls or any other security precautions.
They are simply that, precautions. Bad things are a little less likely to
happen to people who take precautions. Weigh the precautions you take against
the benefit it gives you.

Josh