On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Brian Hurt wrote:

> Actually, another important security consideration is shown here: most
> criminals are idiots.  And most crime is spur of the moment.  Your
> neighbor wasn't looking for painting tools to steal when walking down
> the alley.

One more:  A large number of crimes are committed by a small number of
criminals.  I'll bet the impulsive neighbor has a long history of doing
similar things even if he hasn't been caught very often.

Computer relevant example:  Any time a computer in China, or wherever,
attempts to connect to any port on my Sun computer, it also attempts to
connect to the same port on every computer in my subnet.  It probably also
tries every computer on every subnet on campus; it probably does this on
every .edu domain and maybe it does it on nearly every computer on this
planet.  Having only one computer, you might not know that this is going
on, but when I had several Sun computers on several subnets (and used
ntpdate to sync the clocks), I would look at all logs and I would see the
pattern - subnets were scanned in numerical order and computers within
subnets also were scanned in numerical order.  Anything fishy always
appeared on every machine.

Mike