http://prism54.org/firmware/

> I'm confused about where the "firmware" comes in.  To me, "firmware"
> means non-volatile memory, and shouldn't have to be loaded every time
> the card starts up.

The prism54 cards need to have their firmware loaded each time the
card is initlized. For whatever reason, they designed the cards
without any ROM. My best guess is cost savings and ease of updating.
When the card looses power, it looses it's firmware.

>From here, it would help to know what distribution you're using, as
well as what version of hotplug is installed. (You'll have to ask your
package manager, hotplug doens't have a --version option.)

Do you have pcmcia-cs installed and started? pcmcia card services
should be handeling your pc cards...not hotplug (I think this is still
true in 2.6...haven't tried 2.6 on a laptop yet myself. My wireless
cards are PCI cards.)

If pcmcia-cs is running, you should see an event in syslog when you
plug your card in. Try tail -f /var/log/syslog then plug your card in
(or enter dmesg after plugging in your card.)

That's about as much help as we can offer around here until we know
what distribution. :)

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it