Josh Trutwin wrote:

> Hey, something other than gmail to discuss:
>
> I'm planning a long-overdue upgrade from SuSE 8.0 on my home "server" to Slack 10 and I'd like to give 2.6 a try.  Figured I'd first ping the list to see if anyone had any horror stories about kernel 2.6.  I see that kernel.org already has 2.6.8.1 (.1?) so I'm guessing it's stabilized a bit.  Last time I tried it though on an old laptop it didn't like it much.
>
> Any thoughts?  I hear 2.6 has a nice little performance boost.  Also, anyone know if Slack's kernel package is just the vanilla kernel or do they futz with it just like almost every other distro?

Hello, and a good day to you.  I am glad that you
have made such a wise decision regarding the
switch from Suse to Slackware for your server ;)

The 2.6.7 kernel that comes with slack 10 has been
  messed with.  There are some extra instructions
for the stock slack 2.6 kernels this time around.
  Mainly being that you need to setup initrd to
use the stock 2.6 Slack kernel.  If you use the
stock kernel, make sure you read all the doc's in
the /testing/packages/linux-2.6.7 directory of
your cd (or where ever you have it).

If you compile your own kernel, you do not need to
monkey around with initrd at all.  I compiled
2.6.7 on 2 boxes I have, both running Slack10, and
I have had no drama to report at all.  Both these
computers are quite old though (circa 1997 &
2000ish), and really do not have any fancy
hardware requirements.  I originally switched to
the 2.6 kernel because it supports the ATA-133 pci
cards I am using in both these boxes.

If I was you, I would compile your own kernel to
keep it Mean & Lean...

Good Luck,

Robert De Mars