> I am making progress in installing Red Hat Linux 9.0 on my laptop.

What kind of laptop?
Generally, for help & examples related to your specific model, see
http://www.linux-laptop.net/

> During the installation phase my Microsoft optical mouse (USB) worked
> perfectly.  BUT after the boot process occured, I neither had my

You might have better luck with something newer than RH9. Fedora Core 2
(http://www.redhat.com/fedora/) seems to have much better configuration
tools for things like USB hardware.

Maybe try the install without the USB mouse, and hopefully the touchpad
will just work. Then, after you get that verified (in X), try adding in
the USB mouse. Actually, before doing that, I'd install apt and make sure
all packages were updated (since, e.g., the kernel has changed 2x since
the release of FC2).

Good luck,

Andy Scherrer