----- Original Message -----
From: wordencar at aol.com <wordencar at aol.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:27:38 EDT
Subject: [TCLUG] Two Pointing Devices (Mice) and not one working
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org

I am making progress in installing Red Hat Linux 9.0 on my laptop.
During the installation phase my Microsoft optical mouse (USB) worked
perfectly.  BUT after the boot process occured, I neither had my
Microsoft mouse nor my laptop's Synaptics TouchPad (PS/2). Is RH linux
confused?  Any suggestions for what I might do to get one or both
pointing devices to work?  Both work in Windows XP.
<<<

In /etc/X11/XF86config, you will have a mouse config section that
looks similar to the first entry here. Alter it to look similar, and
add the second mouse.

###
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"

# "Device" may be something different in your config; leave that one as-is
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"

# Your mouse wheel will work!
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

# Adjust accordingly, depending on your mouse; this is for a three button mouse.
        Option      "Buttons" "5"
# (Left, Right, Wheel-Click, Wheel-up, Wheel-down)
# This is what your mouse probably looks like. If you have less, it
won't matter.

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse1"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "imps/2"

# See note below on figuring out what to put here:
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse1"

# This makes the second mouse behave along with the first
# This should, IIRC, allow your mouse to be hot-plugged, so it will
work even if it
# wasn't inserted when X started
        Option      "SendCoreEvents"

# Same as above
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Buttons" "5"

EndSection
###

Then find the ServerLayout listing and add the second mouse entry.

###
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0

# I forget what this is by default; try making it look like this, if
it doesn't already
# If it doesn't work, change it back :)
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

# This is the line you need to add:
        InputDevice    "Mouse1" "AlwaysCore"

#        Option "BlankTime"     "5"     # Blank the screen after 5
minutes (Fake)
        Option  "StandbyTime"   "20"    # Turn off screen after 10
minutes (DPMS)
        Option  "SuspendTime"   "40"    # Full suspend after 20 minutes
        Option  "OffTime"       "60"    # Turn off after half an hour
EndSection
###

Regarding what to put for the mouse Device for your new mouse, I'm not
familiar with what RH will do here. The simplest way to figure this
out is either do execute `ls -l /dev/m*` which will list all device
nodes beginning with the letter m. You may have mouse, mouse1, mouse2,
etc. or /dev/mice/mouse0, /dev/mice/mouse1, etc. or some other
variant.

If all else fails, log in to the console, plug in your USB mouse, then
execute `dmesg`; it should say something that indicates a new USB
mouse was detected, and should give some indication of what the system
is calling it. Use that in the config file above.

I'm not certain of all of this though, so maybe wait for another reply
or wait for someone to agree/disagree with me. Either way, this is my
laptop's config, and works with three different MS USB mice.