> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:25:36 -0500
> From: Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail.com>

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:27:23 -0500, Jason Reynolds
> <jreynolds5 at mn.rr.com> wrote:
> > I am helping a friend build a system that will be used for video
> > editing. It needs to have 1TB of storage and would like to make sure
> > I'm not missing any options. I am currently planning on getting four
> > 250MB hard drive and stripping them in an array.
>
> I'm assumming you mean 250GB hard drives.  If you're going to do this
> right, get five drives and put them in a raid 5 array.  If you do a raid
> 0, which is sounds like you are, you're just asking for data loss.

And in case you don't know why, it's because if any one of your four
drives fails using RAID 0, the whole array fails. Sure you can recover
from backup, but using a fifth drive and RAID 5 is a much faster recovery.

Of course, you still have to do backups with RAID 5, just in case.

Actually, if performance is paramount, you should look at RAID 3 because
it has less of a write performance penalty than RAID 5. It is uncommon and
therefore more expensive, however.

RAID 0+1 is fast and redundant, but you'll need a lot of drives. (8x250GB)

Chris