>>> hick0088 at tc.umn.edu 08/17/04 07:49PM >>>
On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 10:40, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
> In this scenario, like the 'xcopy' option,
> it doesn't get done what I want to do.
> That is, making the client machine (and
> also it's eventual replacement) blissfully
> unaware that it is being kept up to date.

>Hmm.  Isn't that what smart caching network filesystems like
>Andrew/Coda/Intermezzo are for?

If they operated on Netware servers and
Windows clients it might be a solution for me,
but I don't think they do.

The situation is a bit complicated: we run
Solaris on our desktops, we authenticate our
few Windows boxes with windows networking
(Windows and Samba mixed). Tieing in
another authentication source (the Netware
tree) will not "simplify" things, and adding a Unix
centric distributed file system does not address
the problem.

I could put the files on a Samba share (not
on this particular Linux box), but they aren't
needed anywhere but this one workstation,
so syncing them there is as much of a "big
deal" as syncing them anywhere else. I will
put them on a share if they are ever needed
by more than this one workstation, but that
change will take little time.