    John> A coworker is doing an assessment comparing groupware solutions for a
    John> client. They're currently using straight-up SMTP + POP3 clients.
    John> Exchange is an option, but these guys are a non-profit and pretty open
    John> source-friendly, so they're looking for open solutions as well. I've
    John> found what seem to be the big two, eGroupWare, and OpenGroupWare.

    John> I'm wondering: are any of you using either of these? Are you using a
    John> different groupware solution providing group messaging, calendaring,
    John> etc. via a web interface? They would like this externally
    John> accessible.

We've been using TikiWiki for a similar purpose, with some luck, after
finding that PHProjekt was unbearably rigid.

Calendaring in TikiWiki doesn't work very well in my opinion, and
there doesn't seem to be a good way to synchronize your personal
calendar with theirs.  I'd love to find a solution that would synch
with my Palm, either directly or through evolution or kdepim as an
intermediary.

We like the forums, file databases, and the wiki.

At the time we got started, phprojekt seemed the best of the directly
groupware-y solutions, but since then OpenGroupWare and eGroupWare
have come along.  We're a small organzation and not very rigid in
terms of process and who gets to see what.  We were constantly trying
to break phprojekt, which was constantly trying to hide information
from people and let only the project lead see it...

    John> If you are using these, or another product, how would you rate the
    John> setup on a difficulty scale? How much maintenance does the product
    John> require? Would you say that once running, it's something someone with
    John> less than a year of *N?X experience could manage?

Set up was pretty easy.  Maintenance pretty limited.  But remember
that all these things need to have someone do the backup!

HTH,