Shawn Fertch wrote:

>Sorry, a little of topic request.  By chance did anyone happen to
>record the 5:00pm Kare11 news tonight to Tivo or the like?  If so,
>there's a segment on there that I'm looking for.
>
>If not, I did manage to get it to my ancient VCR and record it.  But
>would like it converted to a Quicktime movie or .mpg.
>
>If anyone is able to help out on this, I'd be grateful and will buy
>some beer (if of legal age of course) in return.  Email off list
>please if you can help.
>

>Thanks!

Hey Shawn, I don't have a Tivo, but you should be able to grab a TV card
($40-100) and input your VCR to the card and record from there.  Check
for compatibility of course, I think mine is a Hauppauge,
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_401.html.  You'll also be
interested in the bttv driver then,
http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2/bttv.html.

You need xawtv or nvrec as your software.  Keep in mind that
uncompressed avi at 320x200 @ 30 fps with 16k sound will run you about a
gig per 4 minutes so you'll want that compressed, say ... mpeg4? divx?

- as -