Olwe Melwasul wrote:
> So, does anyone have experience with trying to install, say, Fedora 2 on
> a modern XP laptop? Someone said my Presario 2100 hogs the whole disk
> rather badly and I'd need a commercial disk partitioner to even get
> started.
>
> Olwers

I have Slackware 10.0 installed installed on a
setup similar to your.

My harddisk partition was originally 100%
partitioned for XP Pro.  I used a program called
"Partition Magic" (it's a commercial program,
perhaps the one you were reffering too).
With Partition Magic I was able to resize the
original existing NTFS - XP partition form 100%
down to 20Gig's.  I also used Partition magic to
setup my /swap & /root file system partitions for
slackware.

Once the partitions were setup, I installed Slack
normally, with the exception of I put the LILO
boot loader on the /linux partition instead of the
hard disks MBR.

Once Slack was installed I fired up XP & installed
a program called "Boot Magic" (comes with
partition magic), and enabled it to be the new MBR
  loader.  I then configged boot magic for loading
the original XP, and added Slack to the setup.

Rebooted & was presented with Boot Magics boot
loader, with XP & Slack options available.
XP will load the original XP boot loader, and the
Slack option will fire up the LILO I installed in
the Linux partition.

All Good.  I am sure there are several ways to do
this using open source tools, but when a machine
is 100% M$ to begin with, I find the partition
magic / boot magic combo to be the way to go.

Well, that's what I did.
If you choose to go this route, make sure to read
all the docs that come with Partition Magic.  They
have some good instructions for helping you setup
a dual (or more) boot system.  As with many system
tools like this one wrong move couple destroy your
system, so read & be careful.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

Robert De Mars