On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 09:44:56AM -0500, Olwe Melwasul wrote:
> So, does anyone have experience with trying to install, say, Fedora 2 on
> a modern XP laptop? Someone said my Presario 2100 hogs the whole disk
> rather badly and I'd need a commercial disk partitioner to even get started.

I have installed Debian on Thinkpad R40 with XP, I was able to do
it with minimal problems.

The trick in my case was to not even let XP boot the first time,
because on that first boot it converts the fat filesystem to the
NT filesystem.  The free partitioning tools deal nicely with fat,
but were still unstable with ntfs at that point.  It looks like
they have advanced since then and ntfsresize should work for you
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html .  I don't
know if Fedora includes it in their installation, but it might be
easier to repartioning with a live cd before installing anyway.