On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 12:57:09AM -0500, Steve Swantz wrote:
<snip>
> I did manage to find the modconf package, installed it into the
> chrooted installation on hda2, ran /usr/sbin/modconf - got the screens
> I'm used to, but it failed afterwards with:
>
> -----
> Installing module eepro100. If the device isn't there, or isn't
> configured correctly, this could cause your system to pause for up to a
> minute.
>
> Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
> /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/modules.dep
> /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/mii.o: cannot open
> /proc/ksyms No such file or directory
> /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: init_module:
> No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: cannot open
> /proc/ksyms No such file or directory
> /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: insmod
> eepro100 failed
>
> Installation failed.
> ------

You can't load driver modules in a chroot environment if the chroot
kernel/modules don't exactly match what kernel is currently running.
So at some point it is a leap of faith where you just have to reboot
and hope it's configured to run.

An alternative would be to setup some plug and pray package, which trys
to do the hardware configuration on auto pilot,  like Knoppix.
I don't recall the package names in Debian to do this, they are there,
I just don't have much experience with them so can't recommend much further.

If your /proc is empty, then it's probably not mounted right.  I
sometimes have to mount proc after chroot:
mount -t proc /proc /proc
Then remember to unmount it before exit.