On Aug 10, 2004, at 11:46 PM, David Phillips wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:23:30 -0500, Steve Swantz <tclug at nwaalpa.org>
> wrote:
>> The Debian servers there come partitioned as 40 /boot
>> (hda1), 1GB swap (hda2), and the rest of the drive as / (hda3). I want
>> to change the partitioning scheme, but I have to do it all remotely.
>
> It sounds like a lot of effort for something that isn't strictly
> necessary.  Why do you feel such a strong need for a different
> partition scheme?

 From what I've read, I thought keeping /var on a separate partition was
a good idea to prevent a runaway logging event from filling up anything
other than /var. I did have a fastcgi restarting itself 5 times/second
once (stupid bug) and came pretty close to filling /var before I
realized it. Another reason is to have a file system problem on one
partition separated from the other partitions. Am I off base?

I'm getting pretty quick at deb installs now, it's not that much of a
problem - other than eth0.

I did manage to find the modconf package, installed it into the
chrooted installation on hda2, ran /usr/sbin/modconf - got the screens
I'm used to, but it failed afterwards with:

-----
Installing module eepro100. If the device isn't there, or isn't
configured correctly, this could cause your system to pause for up to a
minute.

Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/modules.dep
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/mii.o: cannot open
/proc/ksyms No such file or directory
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: init_module:
No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: cannot open
/proc/ksyms No such file or directory
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o: insmod
eepro100 failed

Installation failed.
------

/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o  does exist in
the chroot.

/proc is mounted in the chroot environment, but there's nothing in it.

I'm guessing at this point I just have to learn how to get this module
configured manually, then reboot. /etc/fstab and the network settings
were done manually, I guess this may have to be, too.