On Aug 10, 2004, at 9:04 PM, Karl Bongers wrote:

>   Sounds like you just need to load the ethernet driver for the card
> you have.  This is done in modules.conf:
> alias eth0 de4x5
> But under Debian, you need to add each entry to an individual file
> under
> /etc/modutil/*
> then run update-modules and it writes a /etc/modules.conf.
> You could run lspci to determine the ethernet card driver needed,
> then look in lib/modules to make sure you have the module.

I do have
/mnt/debinst/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o

I just tried:

cp -R /etc/modutils/* /mnt/debinst/etc/modutils/
chroot /mnt/debinst/ /bin/bash
update-modules

and it didn't complain. Rebooted into the new installation and eth0
still didn't come up.

I rummaged around all the /etc/module stuff in the primary
installation, didn't see anything that looked like eepro100, yet the
primary installation works fine. Not sure how it loads it.

More stuff to learn.

Steve