On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 10:23:30PM -0500, Steve Swantz wrote:
<snip>
> When I use the debian installer on a bare system, there's a step where
> I tell it to add a module for the NIC card (eepro100). I don't get that
> step when I use "apt-get install kernel-image-xxx" during the
> debootstrap installation onto hda2. The problem I'm encountering is
> that when I reboot eth0 doesn't come up, so my remote work is
> finished....
>
> I've tried skipping installing the kernel and seting up fstab to use
> /boot from hda1 (the existing installation) but it seems I'm missing
> some /lib/modules stuff on hda2 when I try that.

  Sounds like you just need to load the ethernet driver for the card
you have.  This is done in modules.conf:
alias eth0 de4x5
But under Debian, you need to add each entry to an individual file under
/etc/modutil/*
then run update-modules and it writes a /etc/modules.conf.
You could run lspci to determine the ethernet card driver needed,
then look in lib/modules to make sure you have the module.