IIRC, this is not allowed to prevent people from being able to get
around file quotas and make others users go over their quotas....

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Johnson
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 12:46 PM
To: TCLUG
Subject: [TCLUG] chown'ing files between users

perhaps someone could correct me if i'm mistaken, but shouldn't i be
able to 'give' ownership of a file i own to another user, without being
root? in my case i'm doing some work on a web directory owned by my
user. the http user needs to be able to write to some of the directories
i am creating so i've been chown'ing them to http. So far i've had to su
every time i do this but it seems like i should be able to do so without
root privileges. the machine i'm working on is running slackware 8.1 if
it makes a difference.

Thomas Johnson