I was getting this error just today, actually. I was imaging a disk
and on the destination workstation, the current directory was ~, I was
tarring/zipping & netcatting a partition over, mounted identically,
but forgot to tell tar not to strip the leading /.

As a result, I was filling the ramdisk in KNOPPIX, causing this error.
This probably won't provide any lead, but check your free disk space
on that partition.

John

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:18:57 -0500, Josh Close <narshe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to untar a file and I get this error
>
> # tar -xf file.tar
>
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
>
> Then it just sits there. Is there a way to fix that? Or is this file
> lost for good?
>
> -Josh

John T. Hoffoss