I initially complained about this problem to the list late last (7/28)
Wednesday.  Thursday evening, Matthew Hallacy offered to test the GUI
tool I was using and "see what the problem is".  Thank you for your
offer, Matthew.  Sorry, for not responding for several days.  Here's a
link to my original post (lacking the details provided below):

http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2004-July/066791.html

------

I did a Fedora Core 2 ftp install and quite reasonably didn't request
all packages to be installed.

A few days later, I need a Fedora Core 2 package that wasn't initially
installed.  Gnome is the desktop.  I look for a GUI in the default
menu for gnome and see an use the following:

System Settings -> Add/Remove Application

It seems reasonable that the application this menu item starts can add
and/or remove official Fedora Core 2 packages.

After requesting the root password, selecting the above menu item
starts /usr/bin/system-config-packages.

Using system-config-packages, I select a Fedora Core 2 package for
installation and request that the program install it.  It requests
that I insert Fedora Core 2 CD #3 in the CD-ROM drive!?

I did a package level Fedora Core 2 ftp install.  I don't have Fedora
Core 2 CDs or even ISO images.  Why should I be expected to have
these, since I did an ftp install?

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>