Yaron wrote:
> So I figured I may as well upgrade to kernel 2.6.7, and while I'm at it
> I may as well upgrade to nVidia 6111. Except now X dies with a Signal 11.

Ok.. I haven't tried 6111 yet, but I do have an update since I posted:

  http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2004-July/066763.html

I was able to get the 'nv' driver working... Although (as I should have
guessed) dropping the up-rev'd nv driver into the current X build simply
did not work.  I basically built the entire 'santized' tree (4.4.0-rc2)
and then ONLY used it for the X server in my .xserverrc.  This is a lifesaver.

I suspect there is some 2.6-ism with the nVidia driver as there
have been several reports of these problems in nvNews and debian:

Various people have mentioned being careful about installation
(symlinks to drivers getting updated or not).

Others have said that building the kernel module must be done
*in the running target kernel*.  I can't imagine that matters
(but it's easy enough to do make-kpkg kernel_image ; reboot ;
make-kpkg modules_image ).

> I'm getting kinda sick of this, franlky. I /like/ upgrading and
> being on the latest version of things, but the nVidia drivers make that almost painful.

It's so easy in debian that it hasn't been a bother for me,
generally, to run with nVidia.   However that was on an old GPU
(for which the driver was debugged).  Once the core driver issue
gets resolved (w/my new GPU and/or 2.6.x-isms) then it will be
painless again.  (I want GLX!!!)

Regards,

--Tom