> > There are good, easy to use development tools available for Windows that
> > allow programmers to efficiently create professional quality applications.
>
> Thats wonderful, but he wants to program for Linux.

That statement is somewhat of an anacronism.  Is has become very common to
develop Java applications on Wintel PCs and deploy them on UNIX servers; so
common that I don't know of anyone doing it differently.  I don't see any
reason why one couldn't do the other way around too.  The deployment operating
system is becoming less and less important to enterprise developers.  Even .NET
has the same possibility, although I don't know of anyone deploying .NET apps
on UNIX.

Mike