It's a hack, and may or may not be suitable, but this is what I've
used doing forensic images:

On the server: dd if=/dev/hda | tar czvO - | nc <client> <port>
dd to stdout piped to tar, compressing, to stdout (-O) piped to netcat
to your destination.

On the client: nc -l -p <port> -w 10 | tar zxvO - | dd of=/dev/hda
nc listening on port number waiting 10 secs for timeout/EOF. This is
piped to tar, unzipping and extracting piped to dd, written to
/dev/hda.

You will have partition size issues if the drives don't match, but
some KNOPPIX distros include NTFS rw support, and could do /dev/hda1
in both instances then.

You could also just pipe a tgz raw image taken once, rather than
reading live from the image drive, which would speed it up a tiny bit.
(This is fast as it is, since you're compressing/sending/decompressing
on the fly.) You could probably even look into multicasting (I've
never used this, personally) to do all the workstations at once.
(maybe one extra pipe??)

Of course, I'm sure there are a multitude of smoother solutions.

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:36:09 -0500 , rware at interplastic.com
<rware at interplastic.com> wrote:
> I think this might do the trick.  I ran across it in another mail list the other day.
> http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/
>
> Ryan

>        For my high school (That I still work for - despite having graduated) we are setting up 66 new laptops with Windows XP.  I would like to use Norton Ghost, but due to costs, can't.
>
>        What other programs are out there (preferably our favorite type - GPL etc licensed) that will easily clone partitions, and also can be run from a CD, and how would I go about doing this? (NTFS required - others are extra bonuses)
>
>        Bonus points go to the program that can be scripted to run off a CD automagically.
>
>        Keith Bachman

John T. Hoffoss