On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 06:08:40PM -0500, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:

> Given that you say "What we need to do is not very complicated --
> something comparable to a simple VB app on Windows."  I'm inclined to
> suggest that you avoid the larger-scale systems.  In particular, I'd
> eschew anything involving either C++ or Java.  Why buy into a
> compile-test-debug-compile cycle if you don't need to?
>
> I'd suggest instead picking up something that yokes together an
> *interpreted* programming/scripting language like python, perl, ruby,
> or tcl together with a toolkit that's easy for you to live with.  Me,
> I mostly use Tk, and I have friends who use wxWidgets (mostly with
> Python).  I think Gtk would be good, too.  I like KDE better than
> Gnome, but I haven't seen any nice scripting interface to KDE/Qt, so
> would recommend against it (perl libraries seem > 0.5 busted).
>
> Seems to me that you should be able to demand a solution where if
> your program doesn't work properly the first time, you can just tweak
> it on-line until it does.

Hear, hear!  If what you have to do is simple, just check out the
following:

easygui:
http://www.ferg.org/easygui/

Combined with
Python:
http://www.python.org/

Granted, the gui is just a wrapper around Tcl/Tk, but it can accomplish
many small tasks where you need input from the user.  Also note that the
Easygui gets away from the object oriented programming (which can be a
blessing with a small task where you don't intend the application to
become large.

If you need to compile the application to a stand-alone .exe on Winders,
you can do it with this:

http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

If I completely missed the mark, I am sorry, but I just picked up on the
"easy" part of your statement and ran with it :-)

Kelly
KB0GBJ