Given that you say "What we need to do is not very complicated --
something comparable to a simple VB app on Windows."  I'm inclined to
suggest that you avoid the larger-scale systems.  In particular, I'd
eschew anything involving either C++ or Java.  Why buy into a
compile-test-debug-compile cycle if you don't need to?

I'd suggest instead picking up something that yokes together an
*interpreted* programming/scripting language like python, perl, ruby,
or tcl together with a toolkit that's easy for you to live with.  Me,
I mostly use Tk, and I have friends who use wxWidgets (mostly with
Python).  I think Gtk would be good, too.  I like KDE better than
Gnome, but I haven't seen any nice scripting interface to KDE/Qt, so
would recommend against it (perl libraries seem > 0.5 busted).

Seems to me that you should be able to demand a solution where if
your program doesn't work properly the first time, you can just tweak
it on-line until it does.

Cheers,