Brian wrote:

>I use Flonix on my USB keychain.  It's a 50MB image file booted by syslinux.

Thanks for the response!  I'll take a look at Flonix.

>> Puppy Linux 0.8.5 (released April 20th) uses syslinux to boot from
>> flash.  When booting it displays the single line
>> SYSLINUX 2.08 2003-12-12
>> and hangs at that point.  There is no indication that either the
>> kernel or initrd even started to load.

>Try reinstalling syslinux, you can do this either from linux or DOS.

>syslinux /dev/sda1
>OR
>syslinux E:

I tried both of the above to no avail.

syslinux.com doesn't work on MS Windows 2000 Pro (requires syslinux.exe).

>> flash-puppy install simply removes all files from a flash device
>> (FAT16) and copies the kernel (vmlinuz) and initrd (image.gz -
>> entire distribution as a loop mounted ext2 filesystem in RAM).

>Most are this way.  Anyone know if you can format a USB keychain as an
>other fs, such as ext3?

How many flash install-able Linux distributions are there?  I really
just need one that works well.

>> I suspect that syslinux doesn't support all USB devices or perhaps
>> there's something wrong with the syslinux.cfg.  Any suggestions?

>The BIOS takes care of that.  If the BIOS will boot off a USB drive, the
>system treats it like a floppy disk.

The BIOS USB drivers could be the problem.  I assume syslinux uses BIOS
call backs to access USB bridges and devices.  Both the BIOS and the
boot loader have to work together and be relatively bug free.  Maybe the
BIOS simply doesn't support booting from my USB pen drive (PNY 64MB).
(The BIOS does detect the USB pen drive and offers it as a menu
selection in the BIOS boot menu.)

>> I'm thinking about using a different boot loader to boot Puppy Linux
>> from USB flash.  Any suggestions?  (I've heard that Puppy Linux 0.8.4
>> uses grub for booting from USB flash.)

>Never tried another boot loader.  Syslinux has always worked, I'm
>wondering if it just corrupted during install.

I also tried executing "syslinux.exe e:" using a binary downloaded from
the syslinux site.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>