> Has any one had success booting Linux from USB devices?  If so, which
> boot loader and Linux distribution?

I use Flonix on my USB keychain.  It's a 50MB image file booted by syslinux.

> Puppy Linux 0.8.5 (released April 20th) uses syslinux to boot from
> flash.  When booting it displays the single line
> SYSLINUX 2.08 2003-12-12
> and hangs at that point.  There is no indication that either the
> kernel or initrd even started to load.

Try reinstalling syslinux, you can do this either from linux or DOS.

syslinux /dev/sda1
OR
syslinux E:

> flash-puppy install simply removes all files from a flash device
> (FAT16) and copies the kernel (vmlinuz) and initrd (image.gz -
> entire distribution as a loop mounted ext2 filesystem in RAM).

Most are this way.  Anyone know if you can format a USB keychain as an
other fs, such as ext3?

> default vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz
> append ramdisk_size=55296 PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1 PROOTFS=umsdos PKEYS=us

Looks pretty standard.

> I suspect that syslinux doesn't support all USB devices or perhaps
> there's something wrong with the syslinux.cfg.  Any suggestions?

The BIOS takes care of that.  If the BIOS will boot off a USB drive, the
system treats it like a floppy disk.

> I'm thinking about using a different boot loader to boot Puppy Linux
> from USB flash.  Any suggestions?  (I've heard that Puppy Linux 0.8.4
> uses grub for booting from USB flash.)

Never tried another boot loader.  Syslinux has always worked, I'm
wondering if it just corrupted during install.

-Brian