Hi,

I have a problem with one of my hosts. Hoping to get some helpful
advice.

I have a server that has undergone a change of scsi adapters. When I
first built this machine, I used an adaptec IDE RAID controller to
mirror two hard drives. This first controller used the dpt_i2o driver.

Then I decided to put a RAID-5 array in there using linux software RAID.
So I took out the IDE RAID controller, rebooted and let kudzu "see" that
the IDE controller was gone.

I installed an adaptec 29160 which uses the aic7xxx driver. Kudzu seemed
to recognize it, but then I had to insmod the aic7xxx.o module to see
any of the connected drives; after that everything seemed fine, and I
got my raidtab set up and--hooray--everything was hunky dory.

Upon a later reboot, however, things went south. Something or other was
still trying to load dpt_i2o. To wit (from dmesg):
Freeing initrd memory: 208k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Detecting Adaptec I2O RAID controllers...

If /etc/raidtab and /etc/fstab reference my RAID array, then the machine
won't boot; goes to a RAID repair shell. Even if I change
/etc/modules.conf to include aic7xxx, the initrd image still seems to be
wanting dpt_i2o on boot. Kudzu isn't kudding it!

If I'm here in the building when the machine needs to be powered down
for some reason, it's inconvenient but not a big deal...I just clear
/etc/raidtab and take the entry out of /etc/fstab, reboot, insmod
aic7xxx, restore /etc/raidtab and /etc/fstab, raidstart, and mount -a.

But if, say, power goes out and the machine boots on restore
power...while I'm on vacation...you get the idea.

I don't really know how to make a new initrd image, particularly
considering that this machine is RH9.0 (running 2.4.20-28smp kernel by
the way) and I've only recompiled a vanilla kernel in the past---don't
want to hose the RH9.0 installation by trying to recompile kernel
without knowing how it needs to be configured for RH9.0 to stay happy.

OK, please excuse this garrulous post and let me know if anybody has any
of the aforementioned helpful advice.

Thanks in advance!!!
Steve
--
Steve Linabery <slinabery at worldcycling.com>
World Cycling Productions

This electronic message transmission contains information from the sender's organization that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the address listed in the "From:"