On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Chuck Cole wrote:
> FWIW:   The Burnsville Apple Valley area is stuck with Charter for cable
> or Frontier for DSL.

 Yes and no.  Part of Burnsville (the southern part?) has Frontier, but I
know a few people in the northern part with phone/DSL service from Qwest.
Similarly, that area had AT&T cable (~5 years ago), which I imagine is
served by Comcast now.

> Both block port 25, and neither provides a means for me to do smtpauth
> with Earthlink.

 Some SMTP servers listen on the submission port (587), which Charter
doesn't seem to block (at least not for the users I have in Charter-land).
Alas, Earthlink doesn't seem to listen on that port.  Annoying.
 Of course, Earthlink is known for doing the exact same thing with their
dialups, so...

 My general preference is either to encapsulate SMTP within another
protocol, or to use an alternate port -- although that tends to require
knowing someone who runs a mail server. *shrug*

     Jima