My Netgear 802.11g router requires weekly rebooting.. and that is with the
latest firmware... YMMV

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Chad Walstrom
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 5:41 PM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Semi-OT: Wireless Access Point?

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 04:33:41PM -0500, Scott Raun wrote:
> But none of this address my 'anyone have any local vendor or hardware
> recommendations?' question.

If you're going to DYI, look for prism 2.x/3 chipset cards, such as the
NetGear and some Linksys cards.  Bring your cell phone with you when you
go to BestBuy or CompUSA in case the customer service can't tell you
what is what.  Call the support line on the box and ask. ;-)

The reason you want Prism chipsets is because they are the best
supported under Linux for all of the cool Host AP software.  Broadcom
chipsets aren't supported all that well, IIRC, though that may have
changed since last I shopped for cards.

I wimped out and bought a Linksys WAP11.  It works well enough, and I
only have to reboot it every once and a while. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/