Raymond, what is the output of 'df'?
What is the output of 'cat /etc/fstab'?
What partitions are on the disk from the
defunct machine and what are the
labels on them? What Linux distribution
are you using in the recovery box? Which
one was on the defunct box?

If the problem is just two partitions
having the same label text, I don't
think changing the bootloader,
changing BIOS settings, or swapping
cables around will solve the problem.
But we shall see...

Raymond Norton wrote:
>I had a motherboard die on a server and need to mount the drive on a
working
>box. Whenever I add it in to the working box it will boot instead of
the
>drive that is supposed to. Any idea what I have to do get a proper
boot up ?
>I know it is seeing the label and that is causing the problem, but not
sure
>what can be done about it.
When the bootloader (probably lilo or grub if x86 arch) prompt
appears,
simply add the kernel parameter root=/dev/<desired root partition>.
However, this will still load the kernel from the drive that was moved
and it could be incompatible with the original root filesystem
(/lib/modules in particular).  The grub command line can fix this by
Booting from a live CD should always work fine, especially for disk
recovery.
Daniel Rysztak wrote:
>Switch the order of drives in BIOS, swap the master/slave jumpers or
swap
>the IDE ports for the cables.  (I'm assuming it's IDE.  If it's SCSI,
change
>the boot order in the SCSI BIOS.)
These are excellent (and very terse) suggestions by Daniel.  (I would
use ATA rather than the generic acronym IDE, though.)  The unqualified
use of the acronym BIOS of course refers to the motherboard BIOS.