On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:25:42 -0500
"Michael J. Bird" <mjbird at clavdivs.org> wrote:

> Gee, I'm glad I don't work on a system you administer Josh, 'cause
> I'd be wasting too much time trying to get around the restrictions
> you set to get my work done.  Do you have so much free time that
> when your support dept needs to get a ZIPped file from a customer
> containing a log or workbook, or some other debugging attachment
> that you can set up a one-time only download area?  And then talk
> Mr. MBA into trying to send it with an SSL client?
>
> My tax accountant just e-mailed my return as a ZIP file of .pdf
> images for my approval. She knows how to her tax prep software and
> e-mail, and I can't even get her to use PGP because "It's too
> complicated". She's NOT going to touch a DOSBOX on her machine.

Most of my users seriously don't understand what a Zip file even is.  Images/Pictures, MP3's and text is 99% of their email content as stated in my last message.  Mostly Mac based as well, so I don't block stuffit (.SIT) files.  If I tell someone to go to https://www.mytransferarea.com/ and type in their email address and password, they understand that just fine.  I converse daily with many of my users and not one has said this has stopped them from completing their work.  If that ever changes, well so must my policy.

> My company's HQ is in Omaha, NE and I'm in the TC. The HR department
>
> sent me an itemized list of payments my cafeteria 125 monies went to
> via an XCel spreadsheet attached to an e-mail. HR drones can't
> handle SSL or FTP.
>
> So, you "solution" while it may work for your company, is not a good
> generalized solution.
>
> YMMV

Executable content and Zip archives only, certainly not .doc, .xls, etc.

My milage does vary, as stated in my last post, I don't expect that this would work for other organizations.  I wish I had reworded my OP.  When I start providing hosting for accountants and more saavy Windows users, I'd certainly lift this restriction for them.

I'm honestly surprised at all the comotion this has caused, I apologize if I've offended anyone, I still feel it's an acceptable solution under the right circumstances.  But I also see how this is unacceptable for others.

Josh