Shawn wrote:

>I'm trying to do a data recovery from a couple of SCSI HDD's for a
>friend of mine.  His old computer fried on him (running XP), and his
>new computer doesn't have SCSI capabilities.
>
>What I'm attempting to do is mount up both drives in my computer so I
>can yank the data and send it to him via CD.
>
>However, the disks are not allowing me to mount them.  I'm not sure if
>these disks were created with NTFS or not, not if they were in a raid
>configuration.  When I try to mount up one of the drives, I get the
>following message:
>
>"/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device"
>
>I've tried this on numbers one thru 15 with no luck.  My SCSI card
>works, as I use it to control my tape drive.  Could it be that these
>are 68-pin and I'm using a 50-68 pin adapter?  Or, is it something
>else?  One of the drives has no jumpers connected, and the other has
>the two on the far right vertically jumped.
>
>Any ideas?

first look at you dmesg output, it`ll tell you if it detected them and
any paritions that are found, that should give some idea if you are
doing the right thing on hardware side. because the message that you are
seeng is is linux telling you that it cannot find a devicethat is
associated with a device file. also since you are already have a tape
drive attached the hdd coud posibly by a /dev/sdb , /sev/sdc ...
check the dmesg it the easiest