Sam MacDonald wrote:

> I just can't fathom why anyone would want to stay in I/T.  Driving a
> school bus is sounding better all the time.

<sarcasm>
Well, I hear there are distinct advantages to working in the food
service industry as well!
</sarcasm>

Seriously though,
I want to stay at it because I like it! That, coupled with the fact I
just SWITCHED to this racket 5-6 years ago from being a machinist for 15
years, because people were making money doing this. Ridiculous money,
comparatively.

You might be right about the big outfits going off-shore, but
optimistically speaking, there's still plenty of small businesses out
there, lacking in the funds to deploy, 'de-worm' , upgrade, etc etc all
these "certifiably expensive" products, yet in need of quality IT
services to remain competitive. Not to mention, there's just a whole lot
less corporate political BS involved with them. You don't need shiny
shoes, dockers, etc. if you know what you're doing, and you do it for
the right price. Old Proliants have done well in this area too. :)

Been a long 2 years but I'm still here, and things are finally looking
up. Only at about ground level at this point, but up none the less.

Moral of the story?  I think those that neglect to "think outside the
EXE" might be in for some trouble, but with open source, open mind and
some late night work I believe there is still hope for those that DO
think of  and deploy alternative methods.

Besides, when's the last time you were on a loaded school bus? In case
you haven't heard, spitballs and paper airplanes are out this year.
Guns, knives and cocky, smartass attitudes seem to be the thing now.

To quote James T. Kirk, "Gentlemen, there are ALWAYS alternatives!"

-mj