> I got a computer (no hard drives) from Wil that I tried to power up to
> see what CPU & RAM it had but it's not sending any signal to the
> monitor. No POST, but the fan comes on & LEDs light. It has a wacky
> solenoid and switch that I assume is to not allow you to work on it
> with the case open or not allow you open the case while the power is
> on or maybe it's a security feature to prevent tampering. Anyway it's
> a Compaq and the case is a little rough to work in. I think it's a
> P166, which is a bit slow even for a distro server. It has three DIMM
> sticks, one of unknown size, one 64 Mb, one 32 Mb.  It currently has a
> brand new 52x CD-RW in the case.
>
> I have a 2Gig SCSI disk, and some external SCSI cases that have
> needed a good home for a while.
>
> I suspect that our best bet for getting a lot of disk space
> is to use SCSI. With SCSI we can more disks, even if they are small
> and if need be I think we can use multiple SCSI controllers.
>
> If we have parts for one or two machines that would be great but
> three is probably overkill.
>
> I was going to put this in the software thread but it's pretty closely
> related to hardware. Is this a good use for LVM? Since we will
> probably have various sized disks and the data on the disks can fairly
> easily be re-created from the net? I'm thinking that the OS and all
> the mechanism for doing the mirroring etc. would be on one disk that's
> *not* part of the logical volume but all the distros *would* be on the
> LV. I know almost nothing about the LVM so please tell me if this is
> not a good application of it.
>
> --
> Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff
> rick at eworld3.net
> 952-929-1659

The plan was this:
I acquired the machine, did a little research and 'think' it's a 166mmx.
(OK, so it's a little lite in the pants for a server, but for FREE...
*shrug*)

Had a stick of unknown memory in it. I had 2 x 64Mb sticks, so added
them.

Came with the CDRW, so that was a no-brainer

My intent was to pass along a 'reasonable' machine that could travel to
the installfests and burn images of 'anything' somebody might want for
distros - RH, SuSE, Mandrake (where I started), Knoppix, Gentoo, Debian,
etc etc etc...

I got the box for free. If it works, great, if not, cannibalize it and
put it in something that will suffice. SURELY out of all the 'normal
attendees' (and others) for the installfests we can either get this
thing to limp up off the ground OR build a better one. So far I'm out
the 2x64Mb sticks, but I'd never have used them again anyway... If it
survives to run as is, great, but if not I'd still like to see the parts
build a better mousetrap to the benefit of any and all that are not so
far removed from me when I showed up to my first one about 3 years
ago...

--
Wil
Now back to your regularly scheduled procrastination,