Hardware isn't hard for me I can visualize a machine that will do the
work that needs to be done.

Questions
How many computers will be drawing how much data over the wire?
How much disk space does an average distribution use?
What kind of distributions will be available base, server, workstation,
gamer, etc... ?
How many distributions?

A basic computer will work but under load will it choke on the IO?
Hardware is expensive but so is down time at an install fest.  Using
quality server hardware for this is important because this machine will
be moved around.

A nice older compaq server would be stable, safe, flexible, and
expandable.  The big sell on this is the fact that the server could
start with a smaller amount of space and easily grow to a huge amount of
space.

Pentium 2 or 3, 1 gig of ram, and 5 @ 18 gig disks would be a screamer.
At a later time an external storage array could be added. The array
could have 4 gig,  9 gig , 18 gig, or 36 gig disks.  A combination of
disks could be put in it.  A compaq 4100 storage array takes 12 disks
A compaq 3200 raid controller would be perfect
Put 2 compaq 10/100 nicks in it and the thing will through put until
dooms day.

I went out to eBay and looked up "Compaq Proliant" now I'm really going
to need to get a job :-P
I hate/love/hate/love/hate/love ebay!  Oops sorry :-[
I found the following, they're work horses.

Proliant 5500 dual Xeon PII 450 loaded for $277.00 at the current bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3048391329&category=11212
Proliant 6500 quad Xeon P2 400 loaded for $122.00 at current bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3049004827&category=11212
Proliant 1850 dual PII 450 and an external storage array for $31.00 at
the current bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3049639568&category=11212

Lots of possibilities.

It may be possible to get a server like the above donated.

Sam.